This course is for everyone who wants to learn how neural networks work by hands-on programming!
Everybody is talking about neural networks but they are hard to understand without setting one up yourself. Luckily, the mathematics and programming skills (python) required are on a basic level so we can progam 3 neural networks in just over 3 hours. Do not waste your time! This course is optimized to give you the deepest insight into this fascinating topic in the shortest amount of time possible.
The focus is fully on learning-by-doing and I only introduce new concepts once they are needed.
What you will learn
After a short introduction, the course is separated into three segments – 1 hour each:
1) Set-up the most simple neural network: Calculate the sum of two numbers.
You will learn about:
- Neural network architecture
- Weights, input & output layer
- Training & test data
- Accuracy & error function
- Feed-forward & back-propagation
- Gradient descent
2) We modify this network: Determine the sign of the sum.
You will be introduced to:
- Hidden layers
- Activation function
3) Our network can be applied to all sorts of problems, like image recognition: Determine hand-written digits!
After this cool and useful real-life application, I will give you an outlook:
- How to improve the network
- What other problems can be solved with neural networks?
- How to use pre-trained networks without much effort
My name is Börge Göbel and I am a postdoc working as a scientist in theoretical physics where neural networks are used a lot.
I have refined my advisor skills as a tutor of Bachelor, Master and PhD students in theoretical physics and have other successful courses here on Udemy.
I hope you are excited and I kindly welcome you to our course!
Who this course is for:
- This beginner-friendly course is for everyone! Especially if you:
- Are curious about neural networks and want to really understand how they operate
- Work in machine learning or data science but have not yet programed a neural network yourself from scratch
- Want to really learn about machine learning without fancy frameworks/modules – Just you, me & standard python
- Basic programing skills are desired if you want to program along with me. We use Python3 without any advanced modules.
Last Updated 6/2022